fbpx
San Marcos:
Austin:

French Legation State Historic Site

This French history museum is located in a former home of a French diplomat. The home was built in 1841 and features an exhibit on French history and culture in Texas. The site is open to the public on weekends and during the summer months. It includes an outdoor playground and a museum that explains the history of France in Texas. The French Legation State Historic Site is located at 802 San Marcos St, Austin, TX 78702.

Learn More Here

The building was built in 1841 as the residence of France’s representative to the Republic of Texas. It was later purchased by the State of Texas, and the DRT was granted management of the property in 1949. The building is one of the oldest buildings in Austin. It was built by a Frenchman named Alphonse Dubois.

The French Legation State Historic Site is an excellent place to learn about the history of Austin. It is Austin’s oldest home, built in 1841 to represent the French government in Texas. It is the oldest wood-frame building in Austin. The grounds are free to visit, and there are several fun events and programs throughout the year. During summer, the site hosts a summer movie night that is open to the public.

The French Legation State Historic Site is one of twenty-two historical sites run by the Texas Historical Commission. It is situated on three acres in East Austin. It was built in 1841 to serve as the French Government’s representation in the new Republic of Texas. Today, the site serves as a museum about the French role in Texas history.

The museum reopened after a four-year hiatus. The museum has a modernized mission that has made it more than a historical house. It now features changing exhibitions, a focus on connecting with the community, and a commitment to uncovering the site’s unseen histories.

More info

The property has stone walls and a new deck on the front. There are also staff-guided tours Monday through Saturday. The home’s reconstructed kitchen is also open for viewing. The site is open to the public, and admission is free. Its staff offers tours and talks on the history of the area.